Counselors are essential to the schools by:
- Helping create a safe school environment for student learning by being proactive rather than reactive.
- Helping design interventions to enhance student success.
- Assisting students in learning how school performance now relates to future opportunities.
- Consulting staff and parents with academic and behavioral support.
- Working with students on behaviors, attendance, and achievement issues.
- Encouraging healthy life style choices and better decision-making.
- Providing support during personal crisis.
- Developing a comprehensive educational and career plan for each student
- Coordinating referrals to outside agencies.
Counselors provide services to students through:
- Classroom discovery lessons
- Small group practicing sessions
- Individual planning